You are most probably here because after upgrading to Windows 10, you realize that while watching a video or listening to music, the volume is changing randomly by itself and yes, it is annoying.
Generally, the problem only occurs with pc's equipped with Realteak HD sound.
This problem mainly occurs with Realtek Sound chipped computers. So do not worry it is not a bug, but another useless feature that is built into Windows 10.
As Microsoft usually orphans the legacy devices, Realteak sound chips took their fair share. The original Realtek driver that is included in the Windows 10 installation package does not function as we expect.
Sound volume level changes randomly by itself whilst listening to music, watching a movie or youtube videos.
The Realtek driver included inside the Windows 10 driver repository is not fully compatible with your soundchip.
As a feature Windows tries to control the sound chip to enhance the sound quality as well as the noise cancelling/levelling. With the built-in device driver there is no option to cancel the Enhancements.
Try solution 1 and if it doesn't work for you, try solution 2. One of them will work.
Solution 1 - Disable the Sound Enhancements
Click Start and type Sound and select Sound Control Panel.
- In the Playback tab, double click on Speakers
- In the Enhancements tab (if you have it) and check Disable All Sound Effects.
- Press OK.
- In the Communications Tab, select the Do nothing radio button and OK to exit.
Solution 2 - Disable the Sound Enhancements
- When you load the original driver from your vendor or directly from HERE, the MAXX control panel comes back. Yes, I know, it is a Dell driver, but it is for Realtek HD Soundchips in general, branded for Dell (tested on Asus and HP Precision). If you feel weird about it you may test the original from Realtek, but it may not work too well.
- When the installation is complete, reboot.
- From the tray menu (black speaker icon) or Start Menu > Dell Audio, run the Dell Audio application.
- In Main Tab, Turn OFF the Speaker Enhancement.